50mtr target height

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Marc

50mtr target height

Post by Marc »

Can anyone tell me what height should a 50mtr target be from the centre to floor level?
mpreddice-at-ukonline.co.uk.47934.0
Trev

Re: 50mtr target height

Post by Trev »

Mike T.

Post by Mike T. »

: Rule 6.3.9
:
: http://www.issf-shooting.org/Rules/gene ... rules.html
That table shows 0.75 metres as the centre height for 50 metre ranges. That's about 29 1/2 inches. Am I missing something here? That is really low for a standing shooter. The 25m and 10m heights are 1.4m (about 55 inches). That's reasonable for a standing shooter. Is the 50m height a compromise for prone, kneeling, and standing?
Perhaps some of you who have fired Free Pistol at an international match can comment?
Mike T.

fmtaylor-at-telus.net.47948.47935
David

Post by David »

At 50 meter, the target height between positions does not really matter. When you shoot all three psotions, the distance from the target makes it appear to be at the correct height. Try looking at a sign on the road that is about 30 inches off the ground from several different heights and you will see how it works.
Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Hi Mike,
If this is the Mike T. I'm thinking about, I hope things have returned to normal for you in the west.
50m free pistol targets are located surprisingly-close to the ground. Quite frankly, if you measure the difference in angle made by your arm if the target is close to the ground or up at 1.4m you'll find it's very small. I actually find it's easier to shoot the low targets. But don't tell that to the ISSF or they'll be bound to raise the targets and make it harder for me to shoot. Free pistol is enough of a challenge without adding any more!

Mark.
Bob

Post by Bob »

: Can anyone tell me what height should a 50mtr target be from the centre to floor level?
If you do the math, .75m at 50m, through 1.4m at 10m passes through about 1.56m (5'2") at the firing line as a muzzle height. That is about right for a 6' shooter.

Mike T.

Post by Mike T. »

: : Can anyone tell me what height should a 50mtr target be from the centre to floor level?
: If you do the math, .75m at 50m, through 1.4m at 10m passes through about 1.56m (5'2") at the firing line as a muzzle height. That is about right for a 6' shooter.
On the other hand, .75m at 50m, through 1.4m at 25m passes through about 2.05m (6'9"} at the firing line as a muzzle height. That is a bit of a stretch for a six-foot shooter (smile intended).
Since other respondents have pointed out that the angular change is small for change from prone, through kneeling, to standing, I'm wondering why the target isn't placed at a more convenient height for scoring - assuming manual scoring on-the-line (obviously not a world-class range with electronic scoring or an official scorer at a separate table)(smile again).
Mike T.

fmtaylor-at-telus.net.47973.47972
Spencer C

Except

Post by Spencer C »

The ISSF 50m target height is 0.75m +/-0.50m; i.e. the centre of the target could be anywhere between 0.25 and 1.25m and still meet the regs.

Pat McCoy

Re: Except

Post by Pat McCoy »

: The ISSF 50m target height is 0.75m +/-0.50m; i.e. the centre of the target could be anywhere between 0.25 and 1.25m and still meet the regs.:
Yes, but only if all other targets on the range are at the same height. The variance is for the case where an entire range setup may be "off" a small amount. Most ranges try to get as close to the .75M as possible.

patmccoyagency-at-hotmail.com.47980.47974
Spencer C

More arbitary than that

Post by Spencer C »

The 50m target centre height seems to be a lot more arbitary than it would first appear.
The ISSF allows the variation to accommodate landform, etc. provided the centres are all at the same height (as Pat writes). Some range designers and architects take to this allowable variation with enthusiasm (e.g. Bisley, UK).
It's not as bad as it was; the (much) older regs were 0.50 +/- 0.75m giving the same max. but a min. that put the target centre below the shooting bay level.