Sporter Air Rifle Recommendations for Youth

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Angelia

Sporter Air Rifle Recommendations for Youth

Post by Angelia »

I am interested obtaining a list with recommendations/preferences of air rifles for our twelve year old daughter.
She was recently introduced to target shooting by accident. Her dad (special forces military) and uncle were practicing shooting at targets, and they offered to let her try. Dusk was the only thing that made her quit. They both were floored at how well she did to have never held a rifle before. She was shooting an AR-15 at 6 inch targets from 25 meters. She was in the black 85% of the time.
She absolutely loved it. She is very interested in competing as a hobby. I'm not certain if it is needed, but she is 5'3" with a very thin frame.
I have read about the Daisy 888 and the Avanti model. I am certain there may be more models and manufacturers available. I'm not certain where she should start and with what air rifle. Perhaps even a progression of sorts would help.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Angelia
angeliaclayton-at-bellsouth.net.47649.0
Jim Morris

Re: Sporter Air Rifle Recommendations for Youth

Post by Jim Morris »

Angelia,
By definition, the "sporter class" air rifles come from only two manufacturers. Daisy and Crosman. The Crosman offering is usually not considered a good choice as it has reliability concerns.
Daisy makes the Model 888 and Model 853 as good basic rifles. The 888 is generally preferred, since with the CO2 power source you don't have to pump the rifle - this is an issue in Prone and Kneeling positions. The CO2 fitting on the tank is the same as a paintball gun, so it can be filled at many sporting good stores which fill paintball guns for less than a dollar and you get around 150 shots per fill.
The Daisy Valiant, is the class act of the "sporter" rifles, but the compressed air tank has expensive overhead associated with it.
Where are you located? See if ther is a club in the area by contacting CMP. If you e-mail me directly I can try to help you find a group.
Click the link below to see the Daisy line from a good source.
Jim - in Michigan
jmorris_3-at-yahoo.com.47653.47649
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

You may want to obtain a copy of the National 3 Position Air Rifle Rule from the CMP (www.odcmp.com). I believe you can read them online there also. The Sporter category can include other than the Daisy or Crossman as long as it conforms to all rules for that class (see rule 4.2.8).
Good luck, and good shooting.
patmccoyagency-at-hotmail.com.47656.47649
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Angelia
Actually your giving your daughters height is good.
The good thing is most of the Daisy sportsters will fit a smaller person. I'm 5'4" and run into the small person problem. I tried an Avanti at the local club, and it fit me quite well.
The TAU-200-jr (co2) would also be a good fit. But I think (don't know) that rifle would shoot under the precision category. This rifle is about $400, so a bit less than the Avanti. It occasionally comes up on the used market at reasonable prices.

A few factors
Depends on how much you want to spend. The Avanti is $200 more than the 888.
The 888 uses co2. If you live where the shooting location would be subject to extreeme temp, co2 may not behave very well. If she would shoot where temp are somewhat tolerable, co2 is fine. I shoot a co2 air pistol, but I don't shoot below 55F or above 90F.
Some ranges have air (in tanks or compressor) but unlikely to have co2. So you would have to bring/provide your own co2.
Gud Luk
Gary
Jay V

Re: Sporter Air Rifle Recommendations for Youth (long)

Post by Jay V »

: I am interested obtaining a list with recommendations/preferences of air rifles for our twelve year old daughter.
(snip)
: I have read about the Daisy 888 and the Avanti model. I am certain there may be more models and manufacturers available. I'm not certain where she should start and with what air rifle.
Hi Angelia,
3P sporter-class air rifle is the best place to enter the sport. It limits the guns that can be used and special shooting clothing is not allowed. It really simplifies getting started and makes the new shooter more competitive quicker. A sporter shooter should be in the 520-540/600 range before moving on to precision-class, in my opinion.
Check for junior clubs in your area, you may not have to buy a gun yourself. The Daisy pump guns (753, 853) are good quality and inexpensive, but are a pain for 3P in my opinion. Crosman guns are not competitive.
Our junior program has 888s (5) and XS-40 Valiants (12 total - 8 old design, 4 new)- the club owns all of the guns, none of our shooters has purchased their own.

I like the 888 because of its durability and accuracy (Daisy uses Walther Lothar barrels in their 8-series). They are easy to keep going (250+ shots per bulk-fill cylinder)and more accurate than the Valiant. The trigger will need to be worked on to get it to about 2 pounds (not real difficult, but fairly involved). The 888 lacks an adjustable cheekpiece, but rules allow for a build-up of a custom cheekpiece. The 888 stock is more service rifle style, and has less of a pistol grip than the Valiant. You can't dry-fire an 888 like a Valiant. You don't have any way to keep track of the amount of CO2 in the gun, so having an extra filled CO2 cylinder is a good idea. More records have been fired with the 888 than the Valiant.
The new Valiant is smaller and lighter than the old Valiant or the 888. A new one has a supported forend that is shorter and cut-out to show the air cylinder, and has a shorter barrel and stock than the older models. The Valiant has an adjustable cheekpiece and less weight on the front-end of the barrel than the 888. They dry-fire easily. The trigger is not as crisp as a tuned 888 trigger, but usually doesn't need adjustment to be close to the legal limit of 1 1/2 pounds. Most trigger adjustments can be done with an Allen wrench. You can tell how much air you have left by looking at the gauge on the cylinder.
A good shooter can win with either gun. Best to try out both if possible before buying. It usually won't take a new shooter long to decide which one they prefer. For about $200 less, the 888 is the better deal.
Another recommendation - buy a copy of "Ways of the Rifle" from Pilkington or Center Shot Sports ($45) - it will really help you to get started correctly if an experienced coach is not available.
Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

Jay Vergenz
AIAC
IL
www.aiac-airguns.org

jverg-at-att.net.47661.47649
Paul Benneche

Post by Paul Benneche »

Daisy 888 is the way to go if you don't mind spending the extra money and extra hassle of dealing with CO2.
A good starter gun is the Daisy 853/753.
In either case, I recommend that you get the Gamo sight upgrade and some plastic front sight inserts. This is much better and more versatile than the sights that come with the basic model.
peb-at-virginia.edu.47680.47649
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

: The TAU-200-jr (co2) would also be a good fit. But I think (don't know) that rifle would shoot under the precision category. :
If the Tau has an ambidextrous stock and uses the Gamo rear sight it might be able to be used in Sporter. Would have to submit a request to the National Council.
patmccoyagency-at-hotmail.com.47685.47659
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

The jr does use an ambi stock (at least the one I have), but I think the aperture rear sight is TAU.
Gary
Jay V

Re: TAU-200 Jr. rejected by 3P Council - too heavy (nt)

Post by Jay V »

: : The TAU-200-jr (co2) would also be a good fit. But I think (don't know) that rifle would shoot under the precision category. :
: If the Tau has an ambidextrous stock and uses the Gamo rear sight it might be able to be used in Sporter. Would have to submit a request to the National Council.

jverg-at-att.net.47751.47685
GaryN

resin stock

Post by GaryN »

I wonder if that is one reason for the resin stocked TAU-200-jr. I have one of these. The yellow resin looks ugly, but it's light. I have not put it on a scale, but it is probably a couple pounds lighter than the wood stock.
I did not know there was a weight limit also.
Gary
pdeal

Re: resin stock

Post by pdeal »

Gary:
We have a couple of these "resin" stocked guns too. We painted them gray- much nicer. Also, I took that crappy front sight off and made a barrel band with a dovetail that fits the anschutz front sight (old one). This makes the rifle a very nice weight for sub-jrs. Better balanced too.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.47788.47757
Gary

Post by Gary »

While the resin stocked TAU-200-jr is lighter, it seems front heavy to me.
After checking the specs it appears to me, that TAU simply put the full size action/barrel (w/o the barrel weight) into a junior size stock. So the full size barrel is still sticking out there in front. Granted w/o the weights it isn't as bad, but I figured that they might shorten the barrel a bit (as FWB did for the P70-jr). But I guess the least cost way is how they did it, and that did maintain the sight radius of the full size TAU-200.
Gary
Angelia

A Huge Thank You To Everyone!!

Post by Angelia »

I would like to thank everyone who provided advice and much needed insight. I couldn't imagine coming across a more helpful forum with nicer contributors.
I have already learned so much about getting started the right way due to all of your suggestions and ideas. After getting our daughter established, I will be the only member of our family not involved in a shooting sport or career. Hmmm...
Thank You,
Angelia
angeliaclayton-at-bellsouth.net.47792.47649
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

: I wonder if that is one reason for the resin stocked TAU-200-jr. I have one of these. The yellow resin looks ugly, but it's light. I have not put it on a scale, but it is probably a couple pounds lighter than the wood stock.
: I did not know there was a weight limit also.

I believe that the resin stock model is no longer produced, and that it was just a cost-saving venture. The 3P Council looked at a new TAU Jr and determined that in normal configuration, w/o CO2, it is over the 7 1/2 pound limit. The action and barrel are the same as the adult model, the front sight/weight is lighter than the adult version.
TAU is rumored to be working on a new sporter rifle. Most likely something similar to the Daisy Valiant/CZ 200. The Daisy/CZ uses the exact same stock adjustment system and spacers as the TAU. Personally I like the TAU stock design a lot better than the Valiant, hopefully they can retain it if they lighten the entire gun.

Jay V
IL
jverg-at-att.net.47795.47757
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

If you have the money go with a FWB P-70 JR and limited clothing (Glove, Sling, Jacket, Simple Sweater, flat shoes) and just skip the whole Sporter thing alltogether. In my experience at state and natinal level, I have only known 2 good shooters to come out of the sporter program. I only shot sporter for less than a month, with my HS team, and I honestly believe it is a waste of time unless you're not sure the kid wants to do it. And even then, it isn't an indication as to whether or not she'll like real competition...they have very little in common except the basic position and target.
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

: If you have the money go with a FWB P-70 JR and limited clothing (Glove, Sling, Jacket, Simple Sweater, flat shoes) and just skip the whole Sporter thing alltogether. In my experience at state and natinal level, I have only known 2 good shooters to come out of the sporter program. I only shot sporter for less than a month, with my HS team, and I honestly believe it is a waste of time unless you're not sure the kid wants to do it. And even then, it isn't an indication as to whether or not she'll like real competition...they have very little in common except the basic position and target.

I really disagree with your view of sporter class.
What's not in common? Precision gets you a better rifle and special clothing for aditional support, but otherwise it's the same game. One of our guest coaches is a former NCAA Champ and was a resident athlete at the OTC, and she has commented on the added difficulty without the support of the jacket, pants, and shooting boots. There are a lot more than 2 former sporter shooters doing well in precision I'll bet (Josh Peters and Brandon Greene come to mind). Most good JROTC shooters came up from sporter.
If you can score well on the state and national level with a sporter gun, you can score well in the precision class also. But moving into precision also moves you up into a much tougher, more serious, level of competition - not a good place to start. Sporter competitions are geared more to the new shooter. Most precision shooters have little time for the new kid on the line just learning what the range commands are - right?
The equipment is more expensive, and going in with just the minimum of equipment will drop you down even further. Most new shooters will be discouraged by this point...

Jay

jverg-at-att.net.47822.47815
Mike Schroeder

Post by Mike Schroeder »

: What's not in common? Precision gets you a better rifle and special clothing for aditional support, but otherwise it's the same game. One of our guest coaches is a former NCAA Champ and was a resident athlete at the OTC, and she has commented on the added difficulty without the support of the jacket, pants, and shooting boots. There are a lot more than 2 former sporter shooters doing well in precision I'll bet (Josh Peters and Brandon Greene come to mind). Most good JROTC shooters came up from sporter.
Hi
Jay's right on this one, There are three Kansas 4-H Sporter class graduates competing at University of Missouri KC, one of whom was the NRA Youth of the Year (hope I'm close on the title). 4-H only allows Sporter for some reason. Shooting the club's Daisy 888 wearing a couple of sweatshirts at the local meets does qualify as competing in sporter. Helps you know the range commands and setup etc.
Mike
Wichita KS
mschroeder5-at-cox.net.47976.47822
Mike Schroeder

Post by Mike Schroeder »

Hi
I agree with the comments below, with one exception. Using the 853/753 forces the shooter to get out of position to ready the gun to fire. The 888's and Valiant's are a much better way to go. If you going to the trouble to buy an Air Rifle, then the extra $ for the Valiant are well worth the effort.
Mike
: Daisy 888 is the way to go if you don't mind spending the extra money and extra hassle of dealing with CO2.
: A good starter gun is the Daisy 853/753.
: In either case, I recommend that you get the Gamo sight upgrade and some plastic front sight inserts. This is much better and more versatile than the sights that come with the basic model.

mschroeder5-at-cox.net.47977.47680
t

why is my air rifle leaking air

Post by t »

: I am interested obtaining a list with recommendations/preferences of air rifles for our twelve year old daughter.
: She was recently introduced to target shooting by accident. Her dad (special forces military) and uncle were practicing shooting at targets, and they offered to let her try. Dusk was the only thing that made her quit. They both were floored at how well she did to have never held a rifle before. She was shooting an AR-15 at 6 inch targets from 25 meters. She was in the black 85% of the time.
: She absolutely loved it. She is very interested in competing as a hobby. I'm not certain if it is needed, but she is 5'3" with a very thin frame.
: I have read about the Daisy 888 and the Avanti model. I am certain there may be more models and manufacturers available. I'm not certain where she should start and with what air rifle. Perhaps even a progression of sorts would help.
: Any help would be appreciated.
: Thanks,
: Angelia