New questions from a newbie (cleaning and dry firing)

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

JMJ

New questions from a newbie (cleaning and dry firing)

Post by JMJ »

Two quick questions:
Can a Steyr LP5 be "dry fired"?
Is any special cleaning needed for this or any other air pistol? Lube?
Thanks,
John
Mark

Re: New questions from a newbie (cleaning and dry firing)

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the wonderful world of airgunning, John!
I can't speak specifically to the LP-5, but I have some experience with the LP-1, the "parent" chassis of the LP-5. Probably the biggest single favor you can do yourself is to lubricate the seal found where the cylinder mounts to the pistol. I have used both clear silicon grease and Crosmann PelGun Oil and have found the PelGun Oil to work well and not introduce contamination to the guns internal works. With the silicon grease I had one instance of some of it finding its way into the gas piston, resulting in decreased muzzle velocity.
As for other maintenance, if the pistol were a single-shot type I'd mention a light lubrication of mechanical pivot points in the loading system. I have no idea how applicable this advice might be to the LP-5 though. I've never even shot one of these beasts, but would love to!
I hope you enjoy the sport of airgunning and have great success, both with your shooting, and with the longevity of your equipment.

Cheers,
Mark.
JMJ

Post by JMJ »

Mark, thanks for the great info, I really do appreciate it. Can you tell me if this gun can be dry fired? I forgot to ask when I bought it. I can always call and ask, but he's not open until Monday.
One more thing, is there an online site where I can get the pelgun oil? Is it sold in regular stores like Walmart or is it some special item?
Thanks again.

: Welcome to the wonderful world of airgunning, John!
: I can't speak specifically to the LP-5, but I have some experience with the LP-1, the "parent" chassis of the LP-5. Probably the biggest single favor you can do yourself is to lubricate the seal found where the cylinder mounts to the pistol. I have used both clear silicon grease and Crosmann PelGun Oil and have found the PelGun Oil to work well and not introduce contamination to the guns internal works. With the silicon grease I had one instance of some of it finding its way into the gas piston, resulting in decreased muzzle velocity.
: As for other maintenance, if the pistol were a single-shot type I'd mention a light lubrication of mechanical pivot points in the loading system. I have no idea how applicable this advice might be to the LP-5 though. I've never even shot one of these beasts, but would love to!
: I hope you enjoy the sport of airgunning and have great success, both with your shooting, and with the longevity of your equipment.
:
: Cheers,
: Mark.

Tom Young

Post by Tom Young »

you can dry fire a LP5 in two ways. It comes with a dummy orange magazine which you use as a regular magazine. This one uses air from the cylinder but you can fire it 5 times in rapid succession.The other method is to cock it each time using the cocking switch. This allows one shot only. I use both methods.
Tom: Two quick questions:
: Can a Steyr LP5 be "dry fired"?
: Is any special cleaning needed for this or any other air pistol? Lube?
: Thanks,
: John

troncallisales-at-netscape.net.41149.41127
JMJ

Post by JMJ »

Great, thanks Tom!
: you can dry fire a LP5 in two ways. It comes with a dummy orange magazine which you use as a regular magazine. This one uses air from the cylinder but you can fire it 5 times in rapid succession.The other method is to cock it each time using the cocking switch. This allows one shot only. I use both methods.
: Tom: Two quick questions:
: : Can a Steyr LP5 be "dry fired"?
: : Is any special cleaning needed for this or any other air pistol? Lube?
: : Thanks,
: : John

Mark

Post by Mark »

Sorry I can't help with LP-5 specifics, but I see a response above that's pretty thorough. Also, when in doubt, the Steyr Operator's Manuals are pretty thorough.
As for the PelGun Oil, it's a Crosman product, so you should be able to find some in the stores like Walmart etc where other Crosman products are sold. It comes in a pretty small tube, but don't let that put you off as my year-old tube is still going strong.
Also, if you go to a plumbing store and ask them for silicon grease (NOT plumbers grease - they're two different things!), you may find this works on the seals too. I've had trouble with it once, as it gummed up the gas piston, but it could well have been a case of over-application by yours-truly.

Hope you're having fun with that LP-5!

Mark.