FWB Butt Plate Adjustment

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

RFW

FWB Butt Plate Adjustment

Post by RFW »

Friends- This beginner needs some standing position help. My FWB's stock butt plate doesn't seem to adjust low enough for my standing position.
When I get into position and bring the rifle to my cheek, only the bottom tip of the butt plate is in my shoulder and things are not very stable. If the butt is lowered into the pocket, then my head has to grossly angle forward, forcing me to look through the top edge of my glasses.
I've studied photos and don't understand how everyone else worked this out. Their heads seem to be erect. Is this a known FWB issue with 6 foot tall shooters or problems in my stance?
I'm too old to make my neck grow short by playing football. Any suggestions?

rfwhatley-at-earthlink.net.41119.0
GaryN

Re: FWB Butt Plate Adjustment

Post by GaryN »

I use a riser block under my sights, but that only adds about 5mm of height. You could stack 2 or more riser blocks to get the sight even higher. But for competition, you are limited in how high you can lift the sights. Thus if you have a long neck, you may just have to bend your head forward.
For competition, I think there is also a reg as to how far down the butt plate can go.
Gary

: Friends- This beginner needs some standing position help. My FWB's stock butt plate doesn't seem to adjust low enough for my standing position.
: When I get into position and bring the rifle to my cheek, only the bottom tip of the butt plate is in my shoulder and things are not very stable. If the butt is lowered into the pocket, then my head has to grossly angle forward, forcing me to look through the top edge of my glasses.
: I've studied photos and don't understand how everyone else worked this out. Their heads seem to be erect. Is this a known FWB issue with 6 foot tall shooters or problems in my stance?
: I'm too old to make my neck grow short by playing football. Any suggestions?

David

Post by David »

: Trying raising your trigger arm up like a chicken wing. If you raise the arm, the rifle should follow, allowing you to plant the buttplate in your shoulder. If you are talking about air rifle, you can add a total of 12mm of riser blocks to the sights and still be within the rules. I do both, and it works fine with an Anschutz air rifle.
David

Post by David »

: Trying raising your trigger arm up like a chicken wing. If you raise the arm, the rifle should follow, allowing you to plant the buttplate in your shoulder. If you are talking about air rifle, you can add a total of 12mm of riser blocks to the sights and still be within the rules. I do both, and it works fine with an Anschutz air rifle.
Ed Knutson

Post by Ed Knutson »

RFW:
The two dimensions that are most involved in your dilemma are the 220mm limitation on the lowest point of the buttplate below boreline and the 40mm maximum height allowed for the front sight above the boreline. These are derived from the "Standard Rifle" discipline and have always caused problems for tall folks or those with long necks in the standing position. Nothing can be done beyond the above buttplate lowering so one must look to the sight position. Rules dictate front sight height, not rear sight. You can begin by using whatever riser blocks you can to elevate the front sight centerline to the 40mm limit. You can then use rear riser blocks to elevate the rear sight to maintain zero at 10M, as the rules do not specifiy rear sight height, only front sight. If this still is not enough, Walter Gehmann makes a rear sight prism assembly #596 that offsets the rear sight line by 12mm. This should provide you with the additional height you need to maintain a more reasonable head position. I am sure Mr. Pilkington could confirm that this item is ISSF legal and could provide one for you. Please refer to ISSF rulebook Rifle Measurement Table 7.4.3.6
I hope this helps you achieve a good standing position.
Ed Knutson
the2lts-at-earthlink.net.41148.41119