Tau-7 or IZH-46M?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

akihmsa

Tau-7 or IZH-46M?

Post by akihmsa »

Mako talked me out of a Hammerli AP-40, I don't need that level of AP for what I am doing (local matches, no Olympic ambitions). I have shot both the Tau-7 and the IZH-46M. I like the trigger on the Tau a little better and CO2 is not a problem for me. Which one would be better in the long run, and why? (Cost is about the same initially though the Tau will cost more to run I think)
TIA from Alaska
Mark Rogers

Re: Tau-7 or IZH-46M?

Post by Mark Rogers »

I started with an IZH-46 and went to the Tau-7. Reason was two-fold: 1st, the trigger on the Tau-7 I felt was better (for me) and second and most important, the balance and overall "feel" of the Tau-7 was much more to my liking. The IZH was rather muzzle-heavy, which wasn't a major factor, but the grip and my hand never really matched up, despite quite a bit of work. This resulted in the muscles in my hand between the first and second fingers becoming very sore.
I felt the Tau-7 shot better, was more "pointable" if you catch my drift and the Co2 was not an issue.
I was able to shoot in the 550-560 range with the Tau-7 and have since switched to the Morini 162. It took a while to become used to the weight and balance of the Morini vs the Tau-7, but the Morini grip more than compensates for that. I would have kept the Tau-7 as a second "fun" pistol but the wife was a bit "concerned" over that :-)
Just 2cents from the prairie.
mark
: Mako talked me out of a Hammerli AP-40, I don't need that level of AP for what I am doing (local matches, no Olympic ambitions). I have shot both the Tau-7 and the IZH-46M. I like the trigger on the Tau a little better and CO2 is not a problem for me. Which one would be better in the long run, and why? (Cost is about the same initially though the Tau will cost more to run I think)
: TIA from Alaska

Bill177

Post by Bill177 »

I had the IZH for a few months and found it to be way to nose heavy for me. Well built gun, nice trigger, but not comfortable anf fun to shoot.
Bought a TAU-7 and have been shooting 100 pellets daily most days since it got here. Light, easy to hold, grips match my hnds very well with no putty, and the trigger is great. Now if only my eyes were as good as they once were ......
My wife has developed an interest in shooting with the TAU - she has never been interested in anything other than a little centerfire shooting before. If she keeps at it, she will probably get her own TAU-7. It sure is fun to have a shooting mate right at home.
Look at www.airguninfo.com and click on Airgun Database, which will take you to a page with several links of TAU-7 information.
Don't think I like the TAU-7 do you?
Bill
airgun-at-despammed.com.41099.41093
TCooper

Post by TCooper »

I had an IZH-46 and shot it for about 8 months. I found the pistol too front end heavy for my liking. I had to shoot quickly or I would wobble.
I bought a TAU-7 and I prefer the balance. I like the grip better too. With the TAU I can relax my hand when shooting and the sights stay lined up. I can do 90% scores with the TAU. If I relax with the IZH I would be pointing at the floor.
Many shooters like the IZH-46 and IZH-46M but it's all personal preference. Try them both and see which you like.
I ran into a great deal on a full 50lb CO2 tank so propellant cost was not an issue.
Later,
Todd
akihmsa

Post by akihmsa »

Well sounds like your experience leads me the direction I thought I would like to go. Tau will be the next stop on my 10 meter trail! Any tips I need to know? Adjustments or things to be careful of?: I had the IZH for a few months and found it to be way to nose heavy for me. Well built gun, nice trigger, but not comfortable anf fun to shoot.
: Bought a TAU-7 and have been shooting 100 pellets daily most days since it got here. Light, easy to hold, grips match my hnds very well with no putty, and the trigger is great. Now if only my eyes were as good as they once were ......
: My wife has developed an interest in shooting with the TAU - she has never been interested in anything other than a little centerfire shooting before. If she keeps at it, she will probably get her own TAU-7. It sure is fun to have a shooting mate right at home.
: Look at www.airguninfo.com and click on Airgun Database, which will take you to a page with several links of TAU-7 information.
: Don't think I like the TAU-7 do you?
: Bill

Jay V

Post by Jay V »

: Which one would be better in the long run, and why? (Cost is about the same initially though the Tau will cost more to run I think)
We have 4 TAU-7s as club-guns. All have worked well and have proven to be durable and accurate. The things I don't like about them are the 2-step loading (open the port - load the pellet- close the port, then cock the gun) and the small CO2 volume. They seem to run out of CO2 quickly (50 shots?), even at about 425fps or so.

Jay V

jverg-at-att.net.41117.41093
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I don't have any national or Olympic ambitions either, but I enjoy shooting a VERY well made pistol. They feel good, have a good trigger and take away any excuse to blame the equipment. Well maybe the last one is not good...(grin).
You don't need to get top drawer current model either. To keep the cost down, both of mine were older and bought used from Warren. Although even used they are more expensive than either TAU or IZH.
The IZH is an SSP. As an SSP it is independent of the logistics of gas. This is why I bought my Pardini K58. This makes it great to take traveling where you don't have to deal with carrying a tank of gas. A friend of mine regularly beats me with his IZH. The effort to charge a SSP can be tiring. Not a big deal if you are in good shape or for a few shots, but for a 40 or 60 shot match it could be a factor toward the end.
The TAU is co2. This makes it a LOT easier to charge the pistol. For me, with my tendonitis, the ease of charging a co2 made it easier to finish an AP40 or AP60 w/o my arm hurting. And this is why I switched to a co2 Walther CPM-1. With the TAU, if you travel, you can simply buy co2 cartridges where you go. (You cannot carry co2 cartridges in a plane). At home I recommend using a bulk tank, as it will be cheaper in the long run. I use a 5# tank, and it lasts me well over 6 months. But based on the cost to fill, get a 10# tank, it costs just a little more to fill than a 5# tank.
One thing, since it can get cold in Alaska, if you shoot indoors where it is somewhat warm you will be OK. I understand co2 does not behave very well when you get into lower temperatures. Although I stop at 50F, as my bare fingers get too cold to shoot. I do not have fine control of my trigger finger when it's cold.
Gary

: Mako talked me out of a Hammerli AP-40, I don't need that level of AP for what I am doing (local matches, no Olympic ambitions). I have shot both the Tau-7 and the IZH-46M. I like the trigger on the Tau a little better and CO2 is not a problem for me. Which one would be better in the long run, and why? (Cost is about the same initially though the Tau will cost more to run I think)
: TIA from Alaska

gsnaka-at-attbi.com.41118.41093
akihmsa

Post by akihmsa »

I have decided the Tau is a better way to go for my current situation. I am going to be running PTO's this fall and the money saved will be better put into growing the sport. If later on I decide to move up the Tau will be used by others or sold in very good condition so I doubt I would lose a bunch on the sale. Either the Tau or the IZH would be a step up in trigger, sights and grip over my current Daisy 747. The Daisy is quite accurate but the others would be more user friendly. : I don't have any national or Olympic ambitions either, but I enjoy shooting a VERY well made pistol. They feel good, have a good trigger and take away any excuse to blame the equipment. Well maybe the last one is not good...(grin).
: You don't need to get top drawer current model either. To keep the cost down, both of mine were older and bought used from Warren. Although even used they are more expensive than either TAU or IZH.
: The IZH is an SSP. As an SSP it is independent of the logistics of gas. This is why I bought my Pardini K58. This makes it great to take traveling where you don't have to deal with carrying a tank of gas. A friend of mine regularly beats me with his IZH. The effort to charge a SSP can be tiring. Not a big deal if you are in good shape or for a few shots, but for a 40 or 60 shot match it could be a factor toward the end.
: The TAU is co2. This makes it a LOT easier to charge the pistol. For me, with my tendonitis, the ease of charging a co2 made it easier to finish an AP40 or AP60 w/o my arm hurting. And this is why I switched to a co2 Walther CPM-1. With the TAU, if you travel, you can simply buy co2 cartridges where you go. (You cannot carry co2 cartridges in a plane). At home I recommend using a bulk tank, as it will be cheaper in the long run. I use a 5# tank, and it lasts me well over 6 months. But based on the cost to fill, get a 10# tank, it costs just a little more to fill than a 5# tank.
: One thing, since it can get cold in Alaska, if you shoot indoors where it is somewhat warm you will be OK. I understand co2 does not behave very well when you get into lower temperatures. Although I stop at 50F, as my bare fingers get too cold to shoot. I do not have fine control of my trigger finger when it's cold.
: Gary
:
: : Mako talked me out of a Hammerli AP-40, I don't need that level of AP for what I am doing (local matches, no Olympic ambitions). I have shot both the Tau-7 and the IZH-46M. I like the trigger on the Tau a little better and CO2 is not a problem for me. Which one would be better in the long run, and why? (Cost is about the same initially though the Tau will cost more to run I think)
: : TIA from Alaska

MDriskill

Post by MDriskill »

I had two early model Tau-7's, and currently have a 46M. I prefer the latter.
I did love the balance, weight adjustments, and trim size of the Tau, but for whatever reason I could never shoot it well. I occasionally actually wondered about the barrel quality; even though I can't claim to be a good shot, it just seemed some shots didn't break where pointed (I must hasten to add that current Taus have better barrels and grips than the ones I had though).
The cocking/loading sequence is clumsy, but good from a safety point of view--i.e. an open breech is always safe even when the pistol is cocked and loaded, and the gun can be easily uncocked if desired.
The gun was adjusted so that there were plenty of shots for a match from a single CO2 cartridge, i.e. 60+.
I did not like the trigger (again, this has been improved). The adjustments had rather unpredictable effects and the break was just not very crisp.
The IZH's SSP action is the easiest to charge I have ever seen, not tiring at all to use even over a long match. The gun has superb build quality and durability. The trigger breaks extremely cleanly, and the adjustments are effective, easy to access, and simple to understand.
The gun is heavier overall than the Tau, and does balance quite muzzle-heavy. Even my old Tau had more comfortable grips. I feel that these two flaws are rather inter-related, i.e. with the grips properly modified to fit your hand--especially getting the palm shelf to support its share of the weight--the muzzle-heavy balance is much less bothersome.
Needless to say, the "free" air, as opposed to CO2, is an economic advantage, and the IZH is quite a bit quieter to fire if this is a concern for you.
All in all the IZH is quite superior for the type of shooting that I do, though it must be said that long matches are not something I do frequently.