The Greatest??

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

David Levene

The Greatest??

Post by David Levene »

I see from the Zagreb WC results that, after a layoff of 2 years, Afanasijs Kuzmins took the Rapid-Fire quota place for Latvia.
On the assumption that he will be selected for Athens that will, I believe, be his 7th Olympics. His first was in '76 but he obviously missed out L.A. in '84 because of the Russian boycott otherwise he would have 8.
That is obviously an achievement by itself, leaving aside his numerous major championship medals and World records.
The Greatest ISSF pistol shooter?? I cannot see any competition.
dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.41014.0
Fortitudo Dei

Karoly Takacs

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

: The Greatest ISSF pistol shooter?? I cannot see any competition.

My personal hero is Karoly Takacs (admittedly in part because I'm also Hungarian). He doesn't take any awards for the number of Olympics attended or world records held, but he gets my vote because of the manner of his victories.
For those who don't know the story, he was a Rapid Fire shooter in the Hungarian national team and was in their World Cup squad before WWII. In 1938 his right hand was blown off when a grenade exploded prematurely during a military training exercise (and yes - he was right handed). After convalescing for a period, known only by his wife, he secretly taught himself to shoot with his left hand. After the war, he made the Hungarian Olympic team for the 1948 London Olympics where apparently other competitors couldn’t initially understand what he was doing there. He went on to win the gold medal, and repeated the performance at Helsinki with a gold four years later.
Apparently his "party trick" was to shoot rapid-fire blindfolded - and still be able to get a reasonable score. He died in 1976 at the age of 66.

Fortitudo_Dei-at-hotmail.com.remove.41021.41014
David Levene

Re: Karoly Takacs

Post by David Levene »

: My personal hero is Karoly Takacs (admittedly in part because I'm also Hungarian). He doesn't take any awards for the number of Olympics attended or world records held, but he gets my vote because of the manner of his victories.
Certainly a legend, I remember being told about him during my first coaching session when I started shooting. A truly fantastic story and achievement, but does that make him a great shooter? Maybe.
dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.41030.41021
Mikael Andersson

Re: The Greatest??

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Ragnar Skanåker. 7 olympics, 4 medals. Now chasing a quota. Missed ouota by 2 points in Zagreb.
JLK

Post by JLK »

"...but does that make him a great shooter..."
Two Olympic Gold Medals does in my mind!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

: "...but does that make him a great shooter..."
: Two Olympic Gold Medals does in my mind!
Sorry, I worded that wrongly. Yes of course it makes him one of the greats, but does it make hime the greatest.
I do not believe that Olympic golds in themselves are enough to warrant that accolade. For example, Sergei Pyzhianov has never won Olympic Gold but his Air Pistol World Record from 1989 (along with his part of other World Records) must surely rank him as amongst the greats. OK, it may not be as old as Erich Buljung's (superb) Standard Pistol record but is has survived a great many more opportunities to break it.
We have had some fantastic performers in this sport. Such a shame that they have not had the public recognition they deserve.
dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.41045.41043
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

: Ragnar Skanåker. 7 olympics, 4 medals. Now chasing a quota. Missed ouota by 2 points in Zagreb.
Certainly in the top 10. Watching him "milk" the spectators so that they were supporting him was one of the great educations of my shooting career.

dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.41047.41042
Matt VDW

Post by Matt VDW »

: I see from the Zagreb WC results that, after a layoff of 2 years, Afanasijs Kuzmins took the Rapid-Fire quota place for Latvia.
: On the assumption that he will be selected for Athens that will, I believe, be his 7th Olympics. His first was in '76 but he obviously missed out L.A. in '84 because of the Russian boycott otherwise he would have 8.
: That is obviously an achievement by itself, leaving aside his numerous major championship medals and World records.
: The Greatest ISSF pistol shooter?? I cannot see any competition.
Which ISSF pistol shooter holds the record for winning Olympic medals in the greatest number of events?
I'm sure that there have been many men's air pistol / free pistol dual medalists. Has anyone ever medaled in rapid fire pistol as well?

mvandewe-at-columbus.rr.com.41065.41014
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

: I'm sure that there have been many men's air pistol / free pistol dual medalists. Has anyone ever medaled in rapid fire pistol as well?
I had a quick look but couldn't see anyone.

dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.41071.41065