Lube for Cylinder Threads

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

pdeal

Lube for Cylinder Threads

Post by pdeal »

When I first got my ans 2002ca (used) I had some trouble with the cylinder threads galling. I spoke with Steve Moore of Ten Ring Service and he said the threads definitely needed to be lubed, but the manual does not say this. I tried quite a few different high pressure lubricants but none seemed to help. I finally tried wax and it made the problem go away. Then I fooled around with different waxes to find the best wax. Candle wax works ok but is flakey and I was worried it would wind up where I did not want it. I used some soft wax I have that is for lubing bandsaw blades and it worked well but is not readily available. I had to replace a toilet in my house a few months ago and that gave me the idea to try toilet ring wax (from a new ring). This wax seems to work really well. It is very soft almost greaselike and seems to go a very good job keeping the cylinder threads moving like new. I have tried it on my ans 2002ca and on my daughter's fwb p70's. I have been very careful to keep it on the threads and out of the hp air section. Anyway, I thought this might be a help to someone.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.41008.0
Guido Del Giudice

Re: Lube for Cylinder Threads

Post by Guido Del Giudice »

Just spray some Pledge furniture wax on a toothbrush and brush the threads....works like a dream.
I also wax my pellets with the same and in my high power airguns definitely decreases leading in the barrels
Try it....
Guido www.delgi.com
gdg-at-iafrica.com.41009.41008
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

: When I first got my ans 2002ca (used) I had some trouble with the cylinder threads galling. I spoke with Steve Moore of Ten Ring Service and he said the threads definitely needed to be lubed, but the manual does not say this. I tried quite a few different high pressure lubricants but none seemed to help. I finally tried wax and it made the problem go away. Then I fooled around with different waxes to find the best wax. Candle wax works ok but is flakey and I was worried it would wind up where I did not want it. I used some soft wax I have that is for lubing bandsaw blades and it worked well but is not readily available. I had to replace a toilet in my house a few months ago and that gave me the idea to try toilet ring wax (from a new ring). This wax seems to work really well. It is very soft almost greaselike and seems to go a very good job keeping the cylinder threads moving like new. I have tried it on my ans 2002ca and on my daughter's fwb p70's. I have been very careful to keep it on the threads and out of the hp air section. Anyway, I thought this might be a help to someone.

Ive built custome longbows for years, and make the flemish type strings for them, to do so you need a wax that remains somewhat tacky, you can buy this wax in small cakes, for about a dollar, it will stay tacky and stick well to whatevery you use it on, its a combination of sevaral waxes, including natural bees wax, an added benefit is it smell good. You might try it, u can buy it from most any large traditionl archery supply mailorder source. Thought u might want to give it a try.
Jerry

nthe10ring-at-aol.com.41010.41008
Questor

Toilet rings...really.

Post by Questor »

When I need a wax that remains slightly tacky, I find that the wax rings used to seal the base of a toilet are excellent. It's cheap too, costs about $1 for about six ounces.
pdeal

Re: Toilet rings...really.

Post by pdeal »

Yea, and for lubing air cylinder threads that is about 4 lifetimes supply.

pdeal-at-maylanlabs.com.41050.41048
Bob LeDoux

Post by Bob LeDoux »

A good quality moly grease works well. Metal-2-Metal is put out by Beeman's, but even the stuff used for automotive service is fine.
Use only enough to keep it on the threads.
Neither moly nor wax should be applied in quantities to allow it to get into the air passage ways. Doing so could gum up valves and other components. These greases may have a petroleum base which makes them flammable. Sudden releases of high pressure air onto surfaces with these bases could result in diesel combustion which would not be good for a gun.
Therefore, keep it only on the threads.
Aussie Bob

Post by Aussie Bob »

I emailed FWB about this problem. They suggested their own special grease but I had asked about "Vaseline" as well. Their reply was "Vasaline" will do the job quite well. I have also tried Castrol PZ grease which is a Zinc Oxide grease. I rub a little onto my fingers then roll the threads through my fingers. There is no visible grease on the threads but it works well. BTW it is excellent as a grease to seal the chambers in Black Powder revolvers. It keeps the black powder residue soft and it washes out of the gun very well.
Cheers from down under
Aussie Bob
blambert-at-acay.com.au.41058.41008
scott shaffer

Post by scott shaffer »

If you give Steve Moore a call he has a lube that is based upon a proprientary blend of lubricants that works very well. We have used Steve's stuff for many months with no galling or binding. Good luck
Scott

scott-at-shafer.com.41156.41008