Kiwi travel experience relates to us all

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Barry Markowitz

Kiwi travel experience relates to us all

Post by Barry Markowitz »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NZPA News
Bianchi Cup 25th Anniversary, 2003
by Harry Hoover
The Bianchi Cup is the American Action Pistol Championship, started 25 years ago by John Bianchi, of Bianchi Leather fame.
Run under the auspices of the NRA Competitions Division, it is the premier event for handgun shooting outside of the Olympics, and is keenly competed for by handgunners from all over the world. Cash awards from USD$10,000 (1st place) down to hundreds for minor placings attract hundreds of competitors in all grades from Novice to High Master.
Although entries were down this year - 156, New Zealand managed 6 competitors (8 if you count ex-pats Grant Jeavons and John Cameron), the Australians 7, Germany about 10, Japan 15 or so, with other competitors from 10 different countries.
Travel to the competition was difficult to say the least. The USA Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) paperwork required was not difficult, just time consuming. But the airlines were a different kettle of fish altogether.
On departing NZ, all went well, with my gun inspected, bags then x-rayed and locked, and bid the better half a fond farewell. Arrival in the USA was no major drama either, customs just checked the paperwork and let us through. That's when the fun started.
Booking in to United Airlines, I declared I had a firearm, which was duly inspected, bags then passed through security x-ray again, and off I went to my plane. Just as I was boarding, I got called back by the PA system to the check in counter. This was a long way from the departure gate, so I ran, and on arriving, I was told there was a problem because I had a gun in my bag. I politely said, yes, you've seen it, done the paperwork, what's the problem. I was told that those people over there might have seen it, but not us. So, we went through the whole process again, and when I finally got back to the plane it was already 10 feet from the gate. Fortunately, the pilot stopped, opened the doors and the gate was moved to the plane to allow me on board. One of the Australians was less fortunate. He went through the same process, but didn't get called back, they just smashed open his bag, the gun box and the ammo boxes because they were locked. Everything was nicely taped up afterwards with duct tape, including notice inside his new $400 suitcase, stating that a routine security search provided no grounds for a damages claim.
Ah well, I got to Missouri a week early, and after making sure the gun was still zeroed, the ammo still passed power factor, I went fishing. My hosts provided boats, rods and reels and I had a good rest, getting over jetlag and catching bass and catfish for the table (30 bass one afternoon).
The Bianchi cup is a high pressure event, and for me, the first day was no exception. First I lost the adjustable nosepiece from my glasses but a bit of kiwi ingenuity supplied some foam earplugs cut to fit, which did the job nicely. Then a bystander (accidentally) kicked my bag, bursting a can of peach nectar, and making all my equipment nicely sticky. With only 5 minutes to go to my match time and no water available except my drink bottle, I used that as best I could to clean up. Keep reminding myself, no stress, don't make bad decisions now. The event was barricade, and I managed to shoot a clean score, although the X count wasn't pretty. 5 other Kiwis managed a perfect score here, but like always, there's room for improvement.
The second day's competition proved tougher for me and I performed less well than hoped on the Practical match, achieving a 478 / 480. We obviously all need some training as none of us did well in this match. The conditions were good; in fact for the whole 3 days of competition we had lovely weather, which I'm told is unusual in Missouri in May.
The last day had most of us shooting two events. For myself it was Moving Target event first thing in the morning, and Falling Plates mid afternoon. I managed to shoot clean scores on both, which helped me redeem myself in my own eyes. All the Kiwis did very well in the Falling Plates match, including the two who didn't shoot clean as they both did personal bests in the biggest match they'll ever attend.
For myself, both my score and my placing (Top International and 7th overall) were personal bests at Bianchi, and I'm sure most of the others achieved similar results. (Anytime you achieve a PB at international competition, you have to be happy with yourself).
For me the trip home was a pain, having my bags completely searched 3 times (despite having all my paperwork in order, etc). I was searched (swabs taken) for nitrogen residues and heaven forbid, anthrax. At least that's what I was told. If you're going to travel with a gun, make sure your paperwork is correct (ask if you want details). And you have to have a fair degree of patience up your sleeve.
All the Kiwis at Bianchi this year really enjoyed the trip and for myself I learned that I have a huge amount left to learn if I want to play with the big boys. On a good day, I can shoot a 1920, but my X count is lucky to exceed 170. The top guys are shooting into the high 180's and consistently. On the bright side, 5 of the 6 shooters above me are full time paid professional shooters with all but unlimited resources. That definitely makes me feel happier about my achievements.
The NZ team was only 10 points behind the Australians and given a bit more practice, I'm sure we can change those statistics around. (Sponsorship anyone?).
Overall, I really enjoyed my trip, the shooting and the fishing, the company and the catching up with old friends. Who's coming back with me next year??????
Harry Hoover

newsphotohi-at-hawaii.rr.com.41002.0
Mike McDaniel

Which airport did they fly into?

Post by Mike McDaniel »

I'd be surious to know which airport they flew into. The normal drill at most airports is that the security inspection of bags is done at check-in - and if you have a firearm, you unlock the case, they ckeck it, and then it gets locked.
Personally, I would have reported the broken-into gun case to the police and FAA. TSA might argue, but FAA regs (FAR 108, IIRC) require that ALL firearms in checked luggage be in a locked case - with a $10K fine for violations. And if you check the TSA website, they are in conformance.
Remember, don't make civil claims when you can hammer an idiot with criminal charges. Get them out of the gene pool.
:
: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
: NZPA News
: Bianchi Cup 25th Anniversary, 2003
: by Harry Hoover
: The Bianchi Cup is the American Action Pistol Championship, started 25 years ago by John Bianchi, of Bianchi Leather fame.
: Run under the auspices of the NRA Competitions Division, it is the premier event for handgun shooting outside of the Olympics, and is keenly competed for by handgunners from all over the world. Cash awards from USD$10,000 (1st place) down to hundreds for minor placings attract hundreds of competitors in all grades from Novice to High Master.
: Although entries were down this year - 156, New Zealand managed 6 competitors (8 if you count ex-pats Grant Jeavons and John Cameron), the Australians 7, Germany about 10, Japan 15 or so, with other competitors from 10 different countries.
: Travel to the competition was difficult to say the least. The USA Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) paperwork required was not difficult, just time consuming. But the airlines were a different kettle of fish altogether.
: On departing NZ, all went well, with my gun inspected, bags then x-rayed and locked, and bid the better half a fond farewell. Arrival in the USA was no major drama either, customs just checked the paperwork and let us through. That's when the fun started.
: Booking in to United Airlines, I declared I had a firearm, which was duly inspected, bags then passed through security x-ray again, and off I went to my plane. Just as I was boarding, I got called back by the PA system to the check in counter. This was a long way from the departure gate, so I ran, and on arriving, I was told there was a problem because I had a gun in my bag. I politely said, yes, you've seen it, done the paperwork, what's the problem. I was told that those people over there might have seen it, but not us. So, we went through the whole process again, and when I finally got back to the plane it was already 10 feet from the gate. Fortunately, the pilot stopped, opened the doors and the gate was moved to the plane to allow me on board. One of the Australians was less fortunate. He went through the same process, but didn't get called back, they just smashed open his bag, the gun box and the ammo boxes because they were locked. Everything was nicely taped up afterwards with duct tape, including notice inside his new $400 suitcase, stating that a routine security search provided no grounds for a damages claim.
: Ah well, I got to Missouri a week early, and after making sure the gun was still zeroed, the ammo still passed power factor, I went fishing. My hosts provided boats, rods and reels and I had a good rest, getting over jetlag and catching bass and catfish for the table (30 bass one afternoon).
: The Bianchi cup is a high pressure event, and for me, the first day was no exception. First I lost the adjustable nosepiece from my glasses but a bit of kiwi ingenuity supplied some foam earplugs cut to fit, which did the job nicely. Then a bystander (accidentally) kicked my bag, bursting a can of peach nectar, and making all my equipment nicely sticky. With only 5 minutes to go to my match time and no water available except my drink bottle, I used that as best I could to clean up. Keep reminding myself, no stress, don't make bad decisions now. The event was barricade, and I managed to shoot a clean score, although the X count wasn't pretty. 5 other Kiwis managed a perfect score here, but like always, there's room for improvement.
: The second day's competition proved tougher for me and I performed less well than hoped on the Practical match, achieving a 478 / 480. We obviously all need some training as none of us did well in this match. The conditions were good; in fact for the whole 3 days of competition we had lovely weather, which I'm told is unusual in Missouri in May.
: The last day had most of us shooting two events. For myself it was Moving Target event first thing in the morning, and Falling Plates mid afternoon. I managed to shoot clean scores on both, which helped me redeem myself in my own eyes. All the Kiwis did very well in the Falling Plates match, including the two who didn't shoot clean as they both did personal bests in the biggest match they'll ever attend.
: For myself, both my score and my placing (Top International and 7th overall) were personal bests at Bianchi, and I'm sure most of the others achieved similar results. (Anytime you achieve a PB at international competition, you have to be happy with yourself).
: For me the trip home was a pain, having my bags completely searched 3 times (despite having all my paperwork in order, etc). I was searched (swabs taken) for nitrogen residues and heaven forbid, anthrax. At least that's what I was told. If you're going to travel with a gun, make sure your paperwork is correct (ask if you want details). And you have to have a fair degree of patience up your sleeve.
: All the Kiwis at Bianchi this year really enjoyed the trip and for myself I learned that I have a huge amount left to learn if I want to play with the big boys. On a good day, I can shoot a 1920, but my X count is lucky to exceed 170. The top guys are shooting into the high 180's and consistently. On the bright side, 5 of the 6 shooters above me are full time paid professional shooters with all but unlimited resources. That definitely makes me feel happier about my achievements.
: The NZ team was only 10 points behind the Australians and given a bit more practice, I'm sure we can change those statistics around. (Sponsorship anyone?).
: Overall, I really enjoyed my trip, the shooting and the fishing, the company and the catching up with old friends. Who's coming back with me next year??????
: Harry Hoover

HMSLion-at-aol.com.41003.41002
Leonard

15 Competitors from Japan ?

Post by Leonard »

I thought that Japanese shooters, if they were extemely lucky, were allowed access to air pistols only....
Didn't know Bianchi Cup type shooting is popular over there....
Hilton

Re: Which airport did they fly into?

Post by Hilton »

The airlines now do not hesitate to break open cases, regardless of the letter of the law. They site security as the reason, and no-one objects, and all complaints are squashed. That's why it's better to zip-tie your cases closed, rather than lock them.
It also doesn't help if you're not an American national. All foreign visitors, regardless of their country of origin, are subjected to added scrutiny. Makes travelling into the US a real pain and hassle.
Regards, HILTON

Mark P.

Re: 15 Competitors from Japan ?

Post by Mark P. »

Over there, it's airsoft only. However, they do have airsoft Bianchi and IPSC. Every year, a bunch of the Japanese shooters (those who can afford to) take vacation for about a month or so, go to Ichiro Nagata's (the famous gun photographer) ranch out in California and practice their butts off everyday. Then they go to the Bianchi Cup; many do quite well. I think Tomo Hasegawa placed third a year or two ago.
: I thought that Japanese shooters, if they were extemely lucky, were allowed access to air pistols only....
: Didn't know Bianchi Cup type shooting is popular over there....

Mark P.

Re: Which airport did they fly into?

Post by Mark P. »

Yeah, but prosecutors are the ones who make decisions on these matters and they have great discretion. A private citizen cannot force a prosecutor to do their job . . . it's called "prosecutorial discretion."
: Remember, don't make civil claims when you can hammer an idiot with criminal charges. Get them out of the gene pool.

Mike McDaniel

Problem is, they might blame YOU

Post by Mike McDaniel »

: The airlines now do not hesitate to break open cases, regardless of the letter of the law. They site security as the reason, and no-one objects, and all complaints are squashed. That's why it's better to zip-tie your cases closed, rather than lock them.
: It also doesn't help if you're not an American national. All foreign visitors, regardless of their country of origin, are subjected to added scrutiny. Makes travelling into the US a real pain and hassle.
: Regards, HILTON
The big problem is that transportation of firearms in an unlocked case is a very serious violation of the FARs. $10K fine. By pressing for charges, you establish that you are NOT the guilty party. If you don't, you run the risk of getting hammered yourself.
Besides, a formal complaint, backed up with nastygrams to your Congressman, both Senators, and the local newspaper, is the best way to get the matter fixed PERMANENTLY.
HMSLion-at-aol.com.41041.41033
AN

Re: Problem is, they might blame YOU

Post by AN »

According to the TSA website, if your locked bag containing a declared firearm is selected for opening (apprently the shoddy detection machines have a 30% false positive rate - the manufacturers lobbyist is the wife of Tom the champion of the motherland or something like that), they will page you and you can be present to unlock the case for them. Obviously regulations mean nothing to these mini-Nazis going on insane power trips.

: : The airlines now do not hesitate to break open cases, regardless of the letter of the law. They site security as the reason, and no-one objects, and all complaints are squashed. That's why it's better to zip-tie your cases closed, rather than lock them.
: : It also doesn't help if you're not an American national. All foreign visitors, regardless of their country of origin, are subjected to added scrutiny. Makes travelling into the US a real pain and hassle.
: : Regards, HILTON
: The big problem is that transportation of firearms in an unlocked case is a very serious violation of the FARs. $10K fine. By pressing for charges, you establish that you are NOT the guilty party. If you don't, you run the risk of getting hammered yourself.
: Besides, a formal complaint, backed up with nastygrams to your Congressman, both Senators, and the local newspaper, is the best way to get the matter fixed PERMANENTLY.

Mako

Re: 15 Competitors from Japan ?

Post by Mako »

Japanese are allowed to have pistols ... but there are only something like 200 licenses available ... and someone has to practically die before the next person is allowed to get one.
A couple of years ago the japanese jr. team had their guns taken away from them as they entered Canada for the Crosman Matches. The were finally given their guns ... part of the problem was that some of them were under 18.
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.41057.41037