World Cup in Europe

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Bill Poole

World Cup in Europe

Post by Bill Poole »

Being new to this ISSF stuff, i have a question...
Why are there back-to-back ISSF World Cups? in Zagreb this week and Munich next week? Didn't we just HAVE a WC in GA last month? How many WC's does ISSF run per year?
Will the same competitors compete in both? I know of some US shooters heading to Munich who are NOT in Zagreb...
I've been watching the pictures from Zagreb and REALLLY wish i could be there!!!
Bill Poole
Arizona
bill-at-poole.com.40967.0
JP O'Connor

Re: World Cup in Europe

Post by JP O'Connor »

Hi Bill,
They generally run 4 World Cups a year, usually placed pretty close together on the calendar. The reason they run two back to back in Europe like this year (and Munich & Milan in recent years) is to cut down on travel costs... fly to Europe once, shoot 2 Cups, go home. We have some athletes competing in all 4 Cups this year, and others that will compete in fewer. The National Team coaches have to juggle budgets, athlete schedules, and most importantly, decide who to enter where and when to earn quota slots for Athens and to give the likely Olympians opportunities to learn to shoot at the international level... shooting a World Cup in Europe or Asia is not like shooting one here in Atlanta or at Fort Benning! ...nor is it like shooting Nationals. Shooting in a Cup final, or even just making it into the final is a tough proposition as some of our team has learned this week. There have been some excellent performances and lots of good lessons learned.
This year's schedule: the one at Fort Benning last month (originally planned for Wolf Creek in Atlanta... sigh), the two in Europe now, and one in a few short weeks in South Korea. Later, there will be the European Championships and the Asian Championships... I suspect that's another reason the events are so close together... to give time in the calendar for these other major events. Just a guess on my part.
The above applies to rifle and pistol. Shotgun has its own schedule. RT usually matches up with r&p, and sometimes has their own events.
Like you, I've been watching the results and pictures on the Zagreb site... and, like you, really wish I was there!
"Feel Center!"
-JP

: Being new to this ISSF stuff, i have a question...
: Why are there back-to-back ISSF World Cups? in Zagreb this week and Munich next week? Didn't we just HAVE a WC in GA last month? How many WC's does ISSF run per year?
: Will the same competitors compete in both? I know of some US shooters heading to Munich who are NOT in Zagreb...
: I've been watching the pictures from Zagreb and REALLLY wish i could be there!!!
: Bill Poole
: Arizona

jpoc-at-acm.org.40970.40967
TCK

Re: World Cup in Europe

Post by TCK »

Just a few points to add.
1. Besides a world class competition, the WC also serves as a function to promote the shooting sport. So the ISSF intends to appoint different cities in different countries to host the meet, in order to let more people to watch and get interested to shooting.
2. As entries to the Olympics are now limited, the WC and other major shootng competitons provide the chance to get the ticket to the Game. Also as a note, another international shooting event, the World Championship is also held once in every 4 years.
3. As different from other sporting events like swimming and athletics. The breaking of any world record sanctioned by national shooting federation, (100% under the ISSF rules and regulations) will not be accepted. THe WC also provides more "open" compeition so that shooters can have a chance to break records.