MG-2 (long)

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Bob Riegl

MG-2 (long)

Post by Bob Riegl »

Well, I bought one and I have had the opportunity to evaluate this fine gun. First of all: (1) it is NOT a beginners gun, not by any sense of the imagination. IMHO I sincerely do not think a new shooter would enjoy the learning curve with the loading procedure alone. (2) The loading procedure is different than any other gun I have ever owned---not idiosyncratic but different. I have owned and shot Unique DES69U, Hammerli 208s, 280, S&WClark 41, IZH35M, Domino (FAS), Walther---At age 72 I have been around the horn a few times. (3) The gun ate every thing I had in the ammo box---RWS, CCI SV, Eley Tenex, Eley Pistol Match, Jagd Green Dot, Remington (shudder) green box & white box CMP.(4) The tubular magazine is not a problem only don't load the magazine when the hammer has fallen (like the sixth shot)---you might not chamber a round---and make sure to pul the slide all the way to the rear when loading. (5) The dry fire process is easy to engage, just engage the safety , additionally the gun has a real operating safety---not so for some of the afformentioned guns. Also the slide does not stay open after the fifth round is fired. (6) The sights are straight forward CW is right & down ( a common recipe except for the Hammerli 160 FP)All you have to do is have the patience to read the instruction manual. (7) I like Morini's inclusion of the adjustable rear blade "aperature"--- As of yet, I do not understand the rear blade elevation adjustment. (7) I do not personally mess with factory settings on stages and the trigger block I don't even plan to touch. (8) I adjusted the trigger distance and the pad height for my pianist's fingers---BTW it's a torx adjustment on the trigger, not a metric allen key. (9) The grips are real marvelous "Morini" with adjustments for the shelf, rake and horizontal deviation similar to the grips on my old SAM M10 air pistol. So all in all I followed the advice of an old friend and gentleman, Don Nygord, who has yet to steer me wrong on any gun I have ever owned. I had one feed blockage, which was probably my fault, and I had to remove the barrel (real simple 3 screws)to clear this blockage---it did not repeat itself after. (10) Last but not least this is a heavy gun---I do not think many women will like it and should opt for the CM22 "light" or an old DES96U. All of this is only my very humble opinion and not to be regarded as the final word on the topic---not by a long shot.
tck

Re: MG-2 (long)

Post by tck »

Dear Bob,
It is interesting to read your article as a lot of comments on the MG-2 has been circulating but it is difficult to look at the pistol itself, not even its picture. Can you be kind enough to upload some picture or diagram about this pistol as I cannot find anything even on Nygord's website.
Thanks.
Paul

Re: MG-2 - weight

Post by Paul »

There's a aluminium barrel shroud somewhere in the parts list. I've seen it - my MG-2 was originally delivered with one (by mistake), and it's a VERY light gun with that one. Besides, you can take off the two steel plates on the barrel shroud. It's said that Cesare told somebody not to do that, 'cause they were the front buffer for the slide, but I can read a newspaper through that slit between the plate and the slide, so I took them off anyway. I like the gun better minus them, but plus the optional weight above the barrel.
pkuemin-at-gmx.net.40955.40949
Philip

Post by Philip »

Scott H.

Post by Scott H. »

While I love standard pistol, and own a few, I fire most of my shots in Bullseye, or Conventional Pistol. I'll probably get the urge to buy an MG-2, at some point. I, too, have had excellent luck with Don's recommendations.
To the point: Bob, Can you mount a red dot on it?
fwbaw92-at-msn.com.40982.40949
Paul

Now why would you want to spoil all the fun?

Post by Paul »

Boring idea..
You'd have to fit a separate rail to it. As there are already screws holding the upper and lower parts together, you could probably use longer ones to clamp the whole thing. But it would certainly be custom works all around, as I would not expect any factory support for this and the numbers of guns on the market will probably never reach staggering heights...
pkuemin-at-gmx.net.40989.40982
Anon

My God that's ugly!

Post by Anon »

: Try this link:
: http://www.matchguns.com/pagine/ingmod2.html