Iris

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

kristie

Iris

Post by kristie »

I am looking to buy a rear sight iris. Which one is better? The one with the polarizer or 5-color filter? Or the one with both features? Thanks for any info!
Rod G.

Re: Iris

Post by Rod G. »

Hi Kristie,
If you can afford the iris with all features - go for it! You cannot regret it later if you buy the best.
That said, I personally think the polarizer is more important, at least I have found that FOR ME. I read a few posts back that others use the colour filters a lot but I use them very little. Perhaps it also depends on your eyesight. The filters enhance contrast depending on ambient light, but it seems I shoot on more bright days than cloudy or otherwise poor weather days. On bright days with glare off the white part of the target is when the polarizer does its work.
My coach always says, buy the best that you can afford.
Good Shooting!
Regards,
Rod G.
lowkey-at-autobahn.mb.ca.40779.40778
Steph Litz

Post by Steph Litz »

I agree with Rod...go for the one with both! That's what I used. I got mine when I was a junior shooting a lot of outdoor matches back in Washington State. When I moved into collegiate shooting all the features come in handy because every college range has different lighting.
Good luck!

litz10x-at-hotmail.com.40785.40778
Pete W

Post by Pete W »

: The one with the polarizer or 5-color filter? Or the one with both features?
Keep in mind that the following is coming from an older shooter who is almost to the point of needing a white cane to find the firing line:
That said, go with both if you can. I find a whole lot more use for the colored filters than I do the polarizer. But out of the colored filters it is a rare day that I use anything other than yellow. Occassionally I come across a bright light situation that allows me to use a green or grey. And even less frequently I encounter a situation where I really need the polarizer. I do find that the polarizer reduces the light coming in, and frequently remove the polarizing section from the unit, to maintain maximum light to my eye. The polarizer just takes out SOOOO much light that I can no longer see anything with it turned on even slightly.

CWells4638-at-aol.com.40818.40778
Michael Ray

Post by Michael Ray »

I agree with everyone else. I use the Centra 1.8 with 10 colors and polarizer for outdoors.
Ed Knutson

Post by Ed Knutson »

I believe that it matters whether you intend to use the iris for indoors or outdoors. You will likely have little use for the polarizer indoors because of the nature of artificial light compared to sunlight with regard to polarization, likewise the color filters useful for outdoors will not be the best for indoors for similar reasons related to the characteristics of artificial light indoors.
Centra for one example offers a 1.8 indoor model that offers an adjustable iris with five filters that are specifically configured for use with artificial light, e.g. the C41 peach and blue.
They also offer outdoor models that have color filters that are more appropriate for natural light, e.g. the dark red and dark green.
If you want a truly universal item, the 1.8 Competition has both indoor and outdoor filter colors (five of each) as well as an adjustable polarizer that does it all.
You can find more details at www.centra-visier.de
I am sure that Centra products are available from Pilkguns here in the USA.
the2lts-at-earthlink.net.40832.40778